Re:

Don,

Thanks for the pointer to this routing delay metrics draft.

On the delay issue itself, I did some further investigations to the
differntial delay compensation capabilities state of the art
implementations would support.

As an example, 1 GbE interfaces are added to SONET/sDH equipment using a
VC-4-Xv LCAS (X=1..7) signal to transport the Ethernet packets in the
GbE interface signal.

The differential delay compensation capability such a VC-4-Xv LCAS
egress point (where the payload signals in the individual VC-4s are
interleaved again and the ethernet packets are mapped into another 1 GbE
interface signal) supports is these days 16 ms (32 ms buffer). This is
equivalent to about a 3000 km fiber lenght difference (transfer delay in
fiber is 5 us/km).

Do you agree that there is not much to worry about in such case, unless
you try to go world wide.

Regards,

Maarten

Don Fedyk wrote:

> Hai
>
> On the comment for Routing Delay Metric please see draft
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fedyk-isis-ospf-te-metrics-01.txt
>
> I have been a supporter of this for some time and I do believe such a
> feature is valuable to both Packet and Optical GMPLS networks. There has
> been reluctance on the part of the various routing groups to embrace this
> there are a few outstanding updates to make the draft clearer.
> The CCAMP area is where the work is supposed to fall right now. Our tactic
> with the draft was to introduce a few optional metrics to give flexibility
> in this area.
>
> Don

begin:vcard
n:Vissers;Maarten
tel;cell:+31 62 061 3945
tel;fax:+31 35 687 5976
tel;home:+31 35 526 5463
tel;work:+31 35 687 4270
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Lucent Technologies Nederland;NA&CPSE
version:2.1
email;internet:mvissers@lucent.com
adr;quoted-printable:;;Botterstraat 45=0D=0A=0D=0A;1271 XL Huizen;;;The Netherlands
fn:Maarten Vissers
end:vcard