Re: Question about logical link in Link bundling

Man Wing,

The virtual concatenation capability included in the transport NEs is
targeted to support pay-as-you-grow ethernet connections through the
transport network, which ingress/egress the transport network via
physical ethernet interfaces (10M, 100M, 1G, 10G). This capability is
not intended (at least not in today's view) to support an OC12c (STM-4
with VC-4-4c) as ingress/egress physical interface to the transport
network.

The fact that the transport NEs are extended with this virtual
concatenation capability is an intermediate step (early availibility) in
the pay-as-you-grow ethernet connections offer. The final step should
bring the virtual concatenation endpoints to the routers again, such
that in the emerging automatic switched transport network, routers can
dial up additional (or release superfluous) bandwidth, in a hitless
manner (using LCAS from the endpoints).

This will keep the OC12 (in general OC-N) interfaces on the routers
(using VSR optics similar to those used in ehternet today), and removes
the need to perform an additional conversion in the ingress/egress ports
of the transport network (saving costs also here). In addition, the
routers are now again free in selecting the protocol between them
(IP/ethernet, IP/PPP/HDLC, IP/PPP/GFP, MPLS/GFP, IP/ATM, ...) while the
transport network will transparently pass through the virtual
concatenated signal including(its payload with the particular protocol).

Regards,

Maarten

"Fong, Man Wing" wrote:

> Maarten,
>
> Very good point and description. The last case that you describe using VC
> would be a good alternative to support the bandwidth on demand. Now that the
> inverse muxing capability is being transferred from the router to the
> transport NEs. In this case, (Debanjan, you're right), the user would use an
> OC-12c interface on a router instead of the channelized OC-12 interface to
> save cost for this application (BOD).
>
> Thanks,
> Man Wing

begin:vcard
n:Vissers;Maarten
tel;cell:+31 62 061 3945
tel;fax:+31 35 687 5976
tel;home:+31 35 526 5463
tel;work:+31 35 687 4270
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Lucent Technologies Nederland;NA&CPSE
version:2.1
email;internet:mvissers@lucent.com
adr;quoted-printable:;;Botterstraat 45=0D=0A=0D=0A;1271 XL Huizen;;;The Netherlands
fn:Maarten Vissers
end:vcard