From: Michael Waldo [mailto:mwwaldo@flash.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 3:42 PM
To: Bernstein, Greg
Cc: 'Mannie, Eric'; ccamp@ops.ietf.org; mpls@UU.NET
Subject: Re: Small issue on draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-sdh-00.txt

your (1) sounds more like virtual concatenation to me

(2) is what I have considered to be arbitrary concatenation. This could be
useful when compared to standard contiguous concatenation because it could
make
more efficient use of the bandwidth within the SONET line (SDH MS) eg, using
an
STS-2c when only 100Mbs is needed. Standard contiguous concatenation payload
values being 3c, 12c, 48c, 192c for SONET.

Considering virtual concatenation, arbitrary concatenation doesn't seem to
have
as much appeal (pretty useless).

Has the term "arbitrary concatenation" been defined anywhere? I've seen
contiguous and virtual definitions, but I looked through the references in
this
draft, (as well as G.707 and T1.105) and I could not find the "arbitrary"
definition.

-Waldo

"Bernstein, Greg" wrote:

> We started out with the simple term "arbitrary concatenation" a while back
> to mean arbitrary in size and in timeslots used.  I'm not sure what was
> meant when we added the "contiguous" to this.  Was it:
> (1)     Treat this as one big signal within a single SONET Line (SDH MS),
> with potentially arbitrary timeslots used.
> (2)     Treat this as one big signal within a single SONET line (SDH MS),
> with the timeslot numbering lying within a single range, i.e.,  X through
Y,