RE: Small issue on draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-sdh-00.txt

It seems that we have some confusion concerning arbitary concatenation. That happens when we talk about something that is not standardized and proprietary. So next time we better get a detailed definiton of the proprietary solution before it is included in order to check if it fits the definitions.
Coming back to concatenation I see the following types:

Standard contiguous concatenation as defined in G.707 for VC-4 and in T1.105 for STS-1-SPE:
Uses X contiguous time slots within a STM/STS signal. x=4,16,64,256 for VC-4 and X=3,12,48,192, 768 for STS-1-SPE
The first time slot can only be at certain time slots.
The first time slot has a valid pointer , all other time slots have a concatenation indication. One set of path overhead is available for the whole signal.
-> we only need to identify the first time slot and the number of time slots (covered by GMPLS draft)

Virtual concatenation as defined in G.707 and T1.105 for every VC level:
Uses X time slots, which can be in any position and even distributed over everal STM/STS signals.
Every timeslot (individual signal) has its own pointer and path overhead and is treated indivdually at intermediate notes.
-> we need to identify all time slots (covered by GMPLS draft for a virtual cocnateantion that uses the same route for all individual signals)

Arbitary contiguous concatenation, not standardized extensiion of standard contiguous concatenation (that seems to be what is most peoples understanding of arbitary concatenation):
Same as standard contiguous concatenation, without the limits on X and the position of the first time slot
-> we only need to identify the first time slot and the number of time slots (covered by GMPLS draft)

Greg's arbitary concatenation (or non-contiguous contiguous concatenation); not standardized, proprietary solution (here I can only guess):
Uses X time slots which can be at any position within a STM/STS signal. The positons of the time slots have to be in ascending order. The first time slot has a valid pointer , all other time slots have a concatenation indication. One set of path overhead is available for the whole signal.
Some kind of in-band signaling (within the overhead) is required in order to identify the time slots that belong togehter if automatic adjustment of pointer processing to the signal type is needed
-> we need to identify every time slots
This signal type is not covered by the GMPLS draft. It is different from virtual concatenation as the signal processing (pointer, overhead) is different. As it is proprietary and not straight forward from the standard contiguous concatenation different implementations might exist that do not interwork and a identification for each implementation is required.

Juergen