Re: Small issue on draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-sdh-00.txt

Dear Maarten et all,

For "arbitrary contiguous concatenation" you stated (and of course)
i agree it has been removed but the question is: what about existing
equipments it is not because it has been removed from recommendation
that products disappear - can someone confirm the use of arbitrary
contiguous concatenation ? - there is also a difference between "what
the ideal situation should be and what the situation is today in
SDH/Sonet networks"

=> ... so i don't really think it is a big issue and the following
alternative can be used to determine what can be done:
- either we strictly comply to "last versions" of G.707 / T1.105
in that case "arbitrary contiguous concatenation" must be removed
- or we do not strictly comply today then the "arbitrary concatenation"
has to be considered in addition to "arbitrary contiguous
concatenation" - in that case a submission to the ITU-T/T1 should be
ideally proposed in order to "harmonize" the specifications
- or we stay as defined today making the assumption that "arbitrary
contiguous concatenation" was included so that some equipments might
still support it.

Any other possibility ?

Regards,
Dimitri.

Maarten Vissers wrote:

> Waldo,
>
> I am copying an email conversation ongoing in the IP-optical mailing
> list on arbitrary concatenation. Hope this provides the input you are
> looking for.
>
> Bottom line is that neither arbitrary contiguous concatenation nor
> arbitrary concatenation is part of the SONET/SDH standards. It is a
> vendor proprietary extension of these SONET/SDH standards, for which it
> is in my (and some other peoples) view highly unlikely that it will be
> included in the SONET/SDH standards.
>
> As you indicate with virtual concatenation being the international
> standard and the direction in the industry today, arbitrary
> concatenation doesn't add anything to the transport network; contrary,
> it would cause interworking problems.
>
> But arbitrary contiguous concatenation wouldn't add anything either, and
> compared to arbitrary concatenation it would still have the bandwidth
> fragmentation problem that standard contiguous concatenation is having.
> I.e. arbitrary contiguous concatenation is worse.
>
> All,
>
> The GMPLS SONET/SDH extension document is thus defining a control plane
> which supports capabilities in the transport plane that are not
> supported by the international standards for this transport plane.
> Personally, I find this very incorrect. IETF has no mandate to change
> the SONET/SDH standards. A control plane for the transport network
> should follow the transport network standards, not define its own
> transport network.
>
> Regards,
>
> Maarten
>
> ---------------
>
> Maarten Vissers wrote:
> >
> > Greg, Anup, Sanjay,
> >
> > To my recollection, the SONET/SDH definition is performed in T1X1.5 and
> > ITU-T SG15. Last year new revisions of T1.105 and G.707 were approved,
> > in which the "arbitrary contiguous concatenation" has been removed. Such
> > step isn't made just for fun.
> >
> > If you believe the removal of "arbitrary contiguous concatenation" from
> > these standards was a mistake, please submit a contribution to T1X1.5
> > and ITU-T Q.11/15 with a proposal to re-introduce it. At the same time
> > you can then also request to introduce "arbitrary concatenation" and
> > propose mappings of client signals into these arbitrary (contiguous)
> > concatenated signals. However, as indicated by Mark, Juergen and myself,
> > I doubt if you find support for such extension of SONET and SDH.
> >
> > For the moment, SONET/SDH networks compliant with T1.105 and G.707
> > standards can forward "contiguous concatenated" VC-4-Xc (X=4,16,64) and
> > STS-3c/12c/48c/192c signals and "virtual concatenated" VC-n-Xv (n=3,4),
> > STS-1, STS-3c-Xc (X=1..256) and VC-n (n=11,12), VT-1.5-Xv (X=1..64)
> > signals, not the "arbitrary concatenated" signals.
> > Arbitrary concatenation is a proprietary extension of SONET/SDH, for
> > which there is no interworking with standard SONET/SDH networks.

> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Dimitri;Papadimitriou Dimitri
tel;home:+32 2 3434361
tel;work:+32 3 2408491
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.alcatel.com
org:Alcatel Bell;IPO NSG - Antwerpen
version:2.1
email;internet:dimitri.papadimitriou@alcatel.be
title:Optical Networking R&S - Senior Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;Francis Wellesplein, 1=0D=0AB-2018 Antwerpen;;;;BELGIUM
fn:Papadimitriou Dimitri
end:vcard