RE: [T1X1.5] Re: [IP-Optical] concatenation extensions in sonet/sdh

Hi Huub, see the comments in line below. But first, a couple of points (as
usual):
(1)	Virtual Concatenation is a great feature in SONET/SDH and I'm very
much for it and I think it has a lot to offer.
(2)	Arbitrary Concatenation means (to me) three things: (a) arbitrary
size - don't know that this is that useful in a general network-(b)
arbitrary starting time slot, (c) arbitrary locations of successive
timeslots.
(3)	If we use arbitrary concatenation but restrict to standard sizes,
then we have the capability to avoid regrooming on a link by link basis
(note that the arbitrary placement doesn't preclude a restriction to
standard timeslot usage.
(4)	In line with Eric's comment do we want the signaling protocol to
include standard practice, possibly standard practice, features offered by
one quarter of the vendors, etc... Or strictly what is standardized?
Switching based on path groups certainly isn't in any standard (its not
precluded)but a few vendors provide it so we put it in. The additional
transparency feature was requested so we put it in (some of us put in a
bunch of work to fix it up from its initial form, even if we would have
preferred its deferal).  Hence it was my notion that we were making the
signaling specification a common language and not trying to redefine
SONET/SDH standards (which should aim for the least common denominator in
some sense.  BTW how did that extreme layer violation of in-band FEC get in
the OC-192 spec?).

Greg B.
I'll be taking a one week break from Sub-IP in exchange for Sub-Optic 2001
in Japan (that's submarine optics...).

	Dr. Greg M. Bernstein, Senior Scientist, Ciena