RE: [IP-Optical] Re: Proposed text for the concatenation

Hello again,

>  As stated in my previous e-mail, GMPLS is defined for signaling of
optical NNI.

Not exactly, we defined it without speaking about UNI and NNI. Indeed GMPLS
is *being* defined for all kind of interfaces, UNI, public NNI, private NNI,
etc. The signaling runs between an ingress device and an egress device, or
between two endpoints.

Also the term optical is misleading. We didn't want to put optical
everywhere because GMPLS is multi-layer and multi-technology. The TDM layer
is not optical, the packet layer is not optical.

>The openness of GMPLS is that everybody has to understand what your are
>talking about, both syntactically and semantically.

Semantically and syntactically the siganling is non ambiguous. The
particular agreement that you choose to use to implement the mechanism
described by the siganling doesn't belong to the signaling specification.
Most of GMPLS is generic, it means that you can apply it in different
contexts for different technologies. If two different standardization bodies
(but not the IETF of course) define how to implement the transparency, the
GMPLS signaling will work with both. The manufacturer will have to choose
one profile to implement and of course two different profiles could not
interoperate. The GMPLS signaling is neutral and generic with respect to the
way to implement transparency, flexible concatenation, etc.

>It is for inter-domain communication,
>the smallest domain is NE itself. For intro-domain signaling, one can use
whatever
>signaling protocols they choose as nobody would care of that.

GMPLS is for both. You need standards also at an intra-domain interface if
you want to buy boxes from two different manufacturers. Indeed the current
version of GMPLS is more focussing on the intra-domain interfaces than the
inter-domain interfaces.

>  If one (or two) vendor's approach is not called proprietary, then we have
to re-define
> what the standard is.

I don't work for a vendor :-) Who told you that some features are needed
only for one or two vendors ? How do you quantify the number of vendors that
are needed to have a standard ? We work on a consensus based and this draft
has 17 companies on it with 30 people. Usually it is much much less at the
IETF, you only have a small number of co-authors. I already gave a summary
of the process that we followed, all the meetings that we hold, all the
conference call that we hold, all the e-mails that we exchanged, etc.

You described one model in your e-mail, that's a valid model but this is not
THE (only) model. There are plenty of other models that can be fulfilled
with GMPLS.

Kind regards,

Eric

Eric,
  As stated in my previous e-mail, GMPLS is defined for signaling of optical
NNI.
The openness of GMPLS is that everybody has to understand what your are
talking about, both syntactically and semantically. It is for inter-domain
communication,
the smallest domain is NE itself. For intro-domain signaling, one can use
whatever
signaling protocols they choose as nobody would care of that.
  If one (or two) vendor's approach is not called proprietary, then we have
to re-define
 what the standard is.

G.Q Wang
Emerging Network Technology