RE: [T1X1.5] RE: [IP-Optical] Re: Proposed text for the concatenation

Hello Marc,

I think that you are speaking about two different things, you want to
compare apples and oranges. You are using ITU-T standards as counter
examples.  It is better to compare signaling protocols between them. For
instance, you should compare GMPLS (with all its options) and an ITU-T
standard like H.323 (with all its options). You need a profile for H.323 as
you need a profile for GMPLS. There are *lots* of features in H.323 that you
are not obliged to implement. It is even worst there are sometimes two ways
of doing the same thing. I made three world-wide interop event (as
developer) of H.323 and trust we it was not easy to achieve a basic
interoperability (just to open a connection, talk and close it). If you
consider supplementary services it becomes a nightmare. H.323 was also done
re-using existing signaling.

Hopefully, GMPLS has much less options and is much less complex than H.323.

If you tried to do any MPLS based implementation you should know that there
are plenty of options. One of the biggest is the signaling protocol that you
want to use: RSVP-TE or CR-LDP. Before going to signaling details you must
consider the biggest issues.

>A solution to this problem may be to have an extension to the standard.
The
>base standard includes the non-optional stuff that everyone expects to
>implement.  If there are extra features that more than one or two vendors
>are going to implement, make that a new standard that is based on the
>baseline.

I don't thing this is applicable to MPLS and GMPLS. The basic idea is to be
as generic (and general) as possible. You cannot be generic and restrictive
at the same time, these are opposite objectives.

Kind regards,

Eric