Protection switching in GMPLS ==> supporting G.841?

All,

Triggered by Yuri's email, I would like to offer another area for closer
look: protection switching. The standardised SDH protection switching
schemes are specified in G.841 with further support in G.783.

When reading the protection switching text some time ago in the GMPLs
draft I noticed several extensions to be described beyond those in
G.841.

My request is to review the latest text against G.841/G.783, identify
the extensions and (as now proposed by several of us) move those
extensions into a separate Informational document.

Regards,

Maarten

Yuri Landry wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> So far, our discussions are focusing on the SONET/SDH draft. I'd like to
> re-direct your attention to other drafts. Rob's suggestion should apply to
> other drafts too.
>
> One example, is the waveband switching and waveband label a standard or
> proprietary? Can author explain to me what exactly they means? How do they
> work? Any other standard reference? There are questions about it but no
> answer yet.
>
> Regards,
>
> Yuri.
>
> >From: "Lazer, Monica A, NNAD" <mlazer@att.com>
> >To: "'Rob Coltun'" <rcoltun@redback.com>, ccamp@ops.ietf.org,
> >ip-optical@lists.bell-labs.com, q11/15 <tsg15q11@itu.int>,   "t1x1.5"
> ><t1x15@t1.org>
> >Subject: RE: [T1X1.5] RE: [IP-Optical] Re: Proposed text for the concatena
> >tion
> >Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 18:11:36 -0400
> >

> >Rob, You proposal makes a lot of sense. Having the signaling standard
> >support proprietary transport may jeopardize interoperability. The issue is
> >not about GMPLS supporting non-standard rates, the issue is about putting
> >in
> >formal and very specific support for a proprietary transport solution in a
> >standard document for signaling without taking the transport portion to a
> >standards body. Having formal signaling support for a proprietary
> >concatenation may cause interoperability issues when other vendors have a
> >different solution to the concatenation and while the signaling would
> >indicate the concatenation, the actual transport may not work.   On the
> >other hand we recognize that there may be a need for some interim support
> >for proprietary solutions.
> >

> >Eric,
> >Below I have some additional specific comments for the document GMPLS
> >Extensions for SONET and SDH Control
> >

> >CCT field (3 bits)
> >Since arbitrary contiguous concatenation is not a standard concatenation,
> >it
> >falls within the vendor proprietary set of solutions.
> >
> >So the CCT bits may be used as follows:
> >000    No contiguous concatenation requested
> >001    Standard contiguous concatenation
> >others Vendor specific contiguous concatenation
> >
> >Alternatively, a better solution is to use only 2 bits for this field and
> >use one bit to show whether contiguous concatenation is requested and the
> >second bit to show whether it is standard or non-standard contiguous
> >concatenation.
> >

> >NCC field (16 bits)
> >This information is not sufficient.
> >NCC needs better description than a zero or non-zero number.
> >
> >SDH and SONET Labels
> >
> >Text in this section (Section 3, paragraphs 5 and 6) indicates that the
> >GMPLS proposal limits virtual concatenation to remain within a single
> >(component) link. If I understand this correctly, it means that GMPLS will
> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Vissers;Maarten
tel;cell:+31 62 061 3945
tel;fax:+31 35 687 5976
tel;home:+31 35 526 5463
tel;work:+31 35 687 4270
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Optical Network Group;Lucent Technologies Nederland
version:2.1
email;internet:mvissers@lucent.com
title:Consulting Member of Technical Staff
adr;quoted-printable:;;Botterstraat 45=0D=0A=0D=0A;1271 XL Huizen;;;The Netherlands
fn:Maarten Vissers
end:vcard