RE: GMPLS Last Calls

Dimitri, Bala,

I agree with your philosopy. Especally the part that points out that there are
no
semantics associated with an LSP setup via GMPLS signaling, as currently
defined. Therefore, any type of LSP (working, protect, shared, etc. ) can be
established with GMPLS signaling.

The issue of restoration signaling and how to associate LSPs with working or
protection routes is something that can be (and in fact has been; at least in
the
MPLS, IPO, and TE WGs) worked on in parallel.

In my view, the issue being raised by Chuck, Jerry, Eve, and others wrt
restoration is
whether the current
signaling specs. should specify restoration signaling as well, and whether it
would be possible to completely isolate restoration signaling from GMPLS-SIG
in such a way that later developments of restoration signaling do not affect
GMPLS-SIG. You've said that you feel strongly that these can be decoupled.

I feel that it might be worth spending some CPU cycles to make sure that
this is the case (or is largely the case), since it saves considerable
retrofitting
in the future. When we began work on the GMPLS SIG specs. over a year ago,
restoration was only just beginning to surface in the IETF, and it is only in
the
last 6 months or so that there has be greater focus on it. So it makes sense
to take a little time to examine GMPLS-SIG in the light of this.

As for Jerry's point, I think all he is saying is that over the last couple of
IETFs,
there have been formal calls by the ADs, Acting ADs, and different WG advisors
to formally obtain SP input on several items (such as restoration, TE best
practices,
etc.), but this does not seem to have been the case for GMPLS signaling specs.
(Of course, as Eric rightly pointed out, this does not prevent any SP or their
representatives from providing such input.)

Finally, and others can correct me if I am wrong, isn't there  a little bit of
contradiction in the IETF stance with respect to SP input, given that
(technically) we
all come to the IETF, not as representatives of our companies, but rather
as individual contributors.

If so, I am a little confused about what it means
to ask for SP input? Are we asking for individual contributors from the
SP community, and hoping that they will bring in (by osmosis) the overall
philosophy
of their company, or are we asking for companies to specifically send
their representatives to provide inputs on certain topics that have been
deemed to require SP input?

ADs, Chairs, any comments or clarifications?

Thanks,

-Vishal