RE: [IP-Optical] Re: Proposed text for the concatenation

Hi Eric (Gray), Ciena supports all the concatenation extensions discussed in
the draft. Note that LTE only equipment doesn't need to do anything special
to support the transport of virtually concatenated signals.
The transparency options are larger and apply to more than one type of
equipment. Hence, I might not offer all types on the same box (DWDM, Core
Switching, Metro Switch).

Are the complaints from BT, Lucent, Siemens and AT&T primarily directed at:
(1) Extended concatenation types
(2) Semi-transparency feature
(3) Path group/AUG-N signal type
Are there other problems?  Would leaving these for further study get us out
of this deadlock? I.e., some don't want these in a separate specification,
some do. Note that various companies have implemented an earlier less mature
form of this spec and acheived some measure of interoperability, i.e., the
closed door UNH OIF session and the upcomming supercom demo. It would be
very helpful for the industry in general to move this forward now even
without some of the more "advanced features".

Note, however, I do receive pressure from carriers to be open and to provide
these features.

Greg B.
Dr. Greg M. Bernstein
Senior Scientist, Ciena Corporation