Re: [IP-Optical] RE: GMPLS Last Calls

Eve,

There are today lot of design teams at the TE WG, PPVPN etc.
Do you speak here about the ones being proposed at the TE WG
on "network survivability" and "hierarchical TE" ? I think
that some additional information would be useful to understand
to which one you refer here.

Thanks,
Dimitri.

Eve Varma wrote:

> Hi Dimitri,
>    Sorry - missed your first question.  I was not referring to an NNI
> OIF team; I was referring to the IETF team being formed.
>                          Eve
>
> Dimitri Papadimitriou wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > In this e-mail you speak about a "Requirements Design Team"
> > do you refer to the NNI OIF project here i guess ?
> >
> > I wouldn't like to (re-)explain here the nice "reception" offered
> > during the San Diego IETF meeting on the BT draft. Moreover, what's
> > sound very strange here is that the author himself didn't present
> > his draft during the last IETF meeting (since there was a -01 version)!
> > Are you serious when you speak about ASON UNI requirements at the
> > IETF ?
> >
> > You speak about GMPLS profiles for the UNI at the OIF, and potentially
> > in the future for ASTN/ASON which are completely independent of the
> > current GMPLS specification (self-consistency). We don't taylor a
> > protocol suite based on the model to which we have to apply it since
> > if the model change - you have to re-design your protocol ! -. Today
> > GMPLS can be accomodated to any UNI/NNI interfaces coming from
> > wherever you want. Why ? Because from the beginning it is a model
> > independent specification ! By defining the profile you desire you
> > can apply it to the OIF UNI / ASON UNI (if still needed) / etc. Also,
> > don't spend to many time at the OIF to define the architecture it is
> > already done...
> >
> > Now you mention one question which is under discussion about the
> > correlation between the planes... the good point is that with the
> > current work done at the IETF and OIF a solution will be found.
> > However this does not mean AT ALL that the current GMPLS
> > specifications are not going toward a very good direction. Therefore
> > i don't think we need the additional text as you propose. In fact this
> > is clearly an extended problem of the "restoration" issue already
> > discussed on this mailing list and we already agree upon.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > - Dimitri.
> >
> > Eve Varma wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Watching the various emails regarding the GMPLS drafts, I see several
> > > issues being raised related to some concerns that service provider
> > > requirements haven't been sufficiently reflected in the GMPLS signaling
> > > specifications - or at least, not been tested against.  (An initial set
> > > of requirements was provided by BT on
> > > Considerations on the development of an Optical Control Plane -
> > > http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-freeland-octrl-cons-01.txt.
> > > Monica has mentioned other currently available sources of service
> > > provider requirements as well, such as the Carriers Optical Services
> > > Framework and Associated Requirements for the UNI, developed in the OIF
> > > and submitted to T1 and ITU-T.  Some requirements were also submitted
> > > earlier in the draft Requirements on the ASON UNI -
> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Dimitri;Papadimitriou Dimitri
tel;home:+32 2 3434361
tel;work:+32 3 2408491
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.alcatel.com
org:Alcatel Bell;IPO NSG - Antwerpen
version:2.1
email;internet:dimitri.papadimitriou@alcatel.be
title:Optical Networking R&S - Senior Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;Francis Wellesplein, 1=0D=0AB-2018 Antwerpen;;;;BELGIUM
fn:Papadimitriou Dimitri
end:vcard