Re: [IP-Optical] RE: GMPLS Last Calls

Hello Eve,

I think there is a section dedicated to the UNI within the
GMPLS Architecture document (see section 7. UNI and NNI)...
please re-read carefully the document it might be useful
before the OIF NNI conference-call. This is a demonstration
of my previous statement: "Today GMPLS specification can be
accomodated to any UNI/NNI interfaces coming from wherever
you want"

Kind Regards,
Dimitri.

Eve Varma wrote:

> Hi Dimitri,
>
>    Sorry, I'm a bit confused by your response. My input is based upon
> looking at the email flying around. I tried to cite some requirements
> from different sources related to the optical control plane that could
> be used for input, as they have started to be discussed on the mailing
> list.  The GMPLS arch document does mention UNI also, so I think the
> input from the documents related to UNI are also relevant.  Re the BT
> document, you'll have to ask the BT authors.
>
>                                   Eve
>
> Dimitri Papadimitriou wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > In this e-mail you speak about a "Requirements Design Team"
> > do you refer to the NNI OIF project here i guess ?
> >
> > I wouldn't like to (re-)explain here the nice "reception" offered
> > during the San Diego IETF meeting on the BT draft. Moreover, what's
> > sound very strange here is that the author himself didn't present
> > his draft during the last IETF meeting (since there was a -01 version)!
> > Are you serious when you speak about ASON UNI requirements at the
> > IETF ?
> >
> > You speak about GMPLS profiles for the UNI at the OIF, and potentially
> > in the future for ASTN/ASON which are completely independent of the
> > current GMPLS specification (self-consistency). We don't taylor a
> > protocol suite based on the model to which we have to apply it since
> > if the model change - you have to re-design your protocol ! -. Today
> > GMPLS can be accomodated to any UNI/NNI interfaces coming from
> > wherever you want. Why ? Because from the beginning it is a model
> > independent specification ! By defining the profile you desire you
> > can apply it to the OIF UNI / ASON UNI (if still needed) / etc. Also,
> > don't spend to many time at the OIF to define the architecture it is
> > already done...
> >
> > Now you mention one question which is under discussion about the
> > correlation between the planes... the good point is that with the
> > current work done at the IETF and OIF a solution will be found.
> > However this does not mean AT ALL that the current GMPLS
> > specifications are not going toward a very good direction. Therefore
> > i don't think we need the additional text as you propose. In fact this
> > is clearly an extended problem of the "restoration" issue already
> > discussed on this mailing list and we already agree upon.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > - Dimitri.
> >
> > Eve Varma wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Watching the various emails regarding the GMPLS drafts, I see several
> > > issues being raised related to some concerns that service provider
> > > requirements haven't been sufficiently reflected in the GMPLS signaling
> > > specifications - or at least, not been tested against.  (An initial set
> > > of requirements was provided by BT on
> > > Considerations on the development of an Optical Control Plane -
> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Dimitri;Papadimitriou Dimitri
tel;home:+32 2 3434361
tel;work:+32 3 2408491
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.alcatel.com
org:Alcatel Bell;IPO NSG - Antwerpen
version:2.1
email;internet:dimitri.papadimitriou@alcatel.be
title:Optical Networking R&S - Senior Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;Francis Wellesplein, 1=0D=0AB-2018 Antwerpen;;;;BELGIUM
fn:Papadimitriou Dimitri
end:vcard