From: George Newsome [mailto:gnewsome@lucent.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2001 3:29 PM
To: Dimitri Papadimitriou
Cc: ccamp@ops.ietf.org; mpls@uu.net; ip-optical@lists.bell-labs.com;
tsg15q11@itu.int; t1x15@t1.org
Subject: Re: [IP-Optical] RE: GMPLS Last Calls

Dimitri,

I'm probably just showing my ignorance, but I'm rather curious about
your statement that GMPLS is not based on a model, "Because from the
beginning it is a model independent specification."

Likewise you state that by defining a profile, GMPLS can be applied at
any interface. Together these statements implies that GMPLS can meet any
model and any set of requirements.

This sounds too good to be true, and I am reminded of the old advice
that when something looks too good to be true, it probably isn't.

Could you clarify what a model independent specification is, and how a
profile can enable any requirements to be covered?

Thanks

	George Newsome