Re: Transparency at the IETF and OIF

Eric,

I think the debate on transparency indicates that the issue is not as clear
as we might think.  The OIF document you cite defines forms of transparency
that are very straightforward (flags 1,2) not the more complex forms in in
the current GMPLS drafts (flags 3..10).  Also, these are easily provided in
O-E-O or O-O-O networks operating at the lambda level, but there is no
standard for providing these over TDM multiplexed SONET/SDH links.

So you cite broad support, but for what functionality?  If two vendors implement
the same signaling but different TDM multiplexing, that doesn't achieve
interoperability.  Is there any way in the drafts to determine the scope
of application of the various signaling elements (that is, whether they
apply to UNI or NNI, whether they apply to specific network layers/technologies)?

Regards,
Ben