Re: Arbitrary concatenation proposals

Hi John,

Yes, the draft you referred to contains both arbitrary as well as
transparency. But you need to look at the context for that ID.

The I-D was submitted as a way to "enhance" the existing codepoints. I
did not try to specify what should or should not belong. And as I said
many times now, I am not requesting that these all be moved. I merely
want to know the metrics for including things.

Whether arbitrary/transparency should remain in GMPLS or as a separate
document again is up to the group, but I still like Rob's suggestion.

So let me propose that we try to cut this thread short, and see where we
are:

* I've outlined the features of both arbitrary and virtual in an earlier
email (I think it was technical). Any comments? Should we include that
type of comparison in the document?

* Yes, transparency is in the OIF carrier requirements document. So then
again, as I mentioned many times, if our metric is "more than 2
vendor/carrier" or "more than half of vendor/carrier community" or "it
should be included because", then let's include it. But where would it
be included? In the GMPLS or a separate document? Either way, it will be
captured.

* There has been several discussions/questions about GMPLS handling of
different exception cases. Have that been studied in detail? Is the RSVP
or CR-LDP currently able to handle these? For example, how should the
system behave when a signalling channel fail, but the transport link is
still up? Should we have a single behavior or could the behavior be
provisionable?

* There has been some comments about meeting various requirements. Is
the requirement supposed to come before the protocol is going to last
call, or it doesn't matter (i.e., we'll change the protocol if it
doesn't meet requirements), or requirement is irrelevant?

Zhi