RE: GMPLS Sonet extensions

Hi Maarten et. al., I had two cases in mind. You'll have to meet me halfway
on the terminology (I'm using SONET below in my examples).
(1) Signaling for each layer -- this can use a "common signaling" protocol
with different "objects" or "information element" particular to that layer.
This protocol would be used between the appropriate entities that control
the switching at that particular layer.  For example, say I want to switch
VT1.5s (a container for carrying T1s in SONET) then I would signal between
the VT1.5 switches along the path using this common protocol.  If I first
needed to connect some STS-1 paths between these VT1.5 switches then the
signaling protocol (with STS-1 descriptions in it) would be used between
these STS-1 switches.  Now if a vendor chooses to integrate STS-1 and VT1.5
switching in the same box its up to them whether they choose to separate
these signaling control entities or combine them into one entity.  The
logical layer model still stands.  I didn't assume any particular mechanism
for the signaling transport (except IP) since different layers/technologies
may have different mechanisms available, e.g., SONET's DCC.  I also didn't
want to dictate where the network engineering function resides, i.e., where
in the above example you'd figure out the best place to put the STS-1 paths
given locations of VT1.5 switches, traffic trends, SONET line capacities
etc. Is this what you are calling a LNTC?

(2) Routing for each layer -- Here things are a little less obvious to me.
Yes, I can run a separate instance of a route protocol for each layer but
can I keep things simpler and would it be truly simpler.  Back to the SONET
example.  For setting up STS-1 (or STS-Nc) connections I would want to know
about SONET line layer topology (via a link state route protocol).  For
setting up the VT1.5 connections I would want to know about the SONET STS-1
layer connectivity between the VT1.5 layer switches.  If one had a network
with switches with combined (multi-layer) switching capability then I could
see some advantages in combining these.  At a minimum I can see that the
network engineering function for the VT1.5 layer switches (the thing that
needs to set up the bandwidth between the VT1.5 layer switches) would want
to know about both layers (it must know about the SONET line layer).  This
is what motivates integrating multiple layers into a single instance of a
routing protocol. But what about more than two layers? How would a knowing
the DS0 connectivity/traffic trends be of use to the network engineering
function for STS-1 paths between VT1.5 switches? I don't think so since we
see this via the VT1.5 trends anyhow.  Similarly the properties of layers
below the SONET line layer should be already summarized via SRLG info so I'm
not sure that knowing the exact topology down at the waveband level is all
that helpful.  Kireeti (or Yakov) the forwarding adjacency concept was
introduced for dealing with hierarchy in MPLS and MPLS tunnels, but this was
for MPLS within MPLS now we are talking multiplex hierarchies where the
entities at the different layers are very much different from each other.

Maarten, are we converging here (except for terminology of course)?

Greg B.