RE: Signal Type doubt in GMPLS

Hello Manoj,

>Also, for signal types STM-1, STM-4 etc. it is written in braces
>that "only when requesting transparency". What does this exactly mean ?

When you request some transparency it means transparency in the SOH, so you
don't just request some payload, you request something related to the frame
itself. Some part of the SOH has to be delivered at the other end of the LSP
untouched. This can be achieved in several ways, e.g. simply forwarded
untouched (and this doesn't require any new standard, e.g. you keep the DCC
untouched and you forward it :-) by the intermediate nodes in the network,
or tunnelled in some overhead bytes.

We didn't want to use a VC type of signal with transparency because the SOH
is not part of this VC, we used STM-N. This is much cleaner.

>What does AUG-1/AUG-16 means ? STM-1 has 1 AUG and STM-N has N AUGs.

An AUG-X signal type means the space taken by the AUG-X, it is like a TUG or
VTG signal. That allows to open a circuit without specifying its content,
your SDH framer will recognise the content automatically.

For instance, I am a customer and I don't care about transparency. I am
connected to a switch with an STM-4 interface. I want to open a circuit with
the bandwidth equivalent of an STM-1 whose content can change, e.g. first I
structure it as 3 x VC-3's, later on I want one VC-4. I request an AUG-1
circuit.

Kind regards,

Eric

    I have certain doubts regarding signal type field in sonet-sdh 00.txt
draft.

What does AUG-1/AUG-16 means ? STM-1 has 1 AUG and STM-N has N AUGs.

When signal type is AUG-256, what does this exatly mean ?

Also, for signal types STM-1, STM-4 etc. it is written in braces
that "only when requesting transparency". What does this exactly mean ?

Please help.

Regards,
manoj.