RE: Optical impairments in draft-ietf-mpls-generalized-signaling-04

I'll defer to Peter Ashwood-Smith or Lou Berger, as they were the ones who
designed label sets

-----Original Message-----
From: Yangguang Xu [mailto:xuyg@lucent.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 8:06 AM
To: John Drake
Cc: ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: Optical impairments in
draft-ietf-mpls-generalized-signaling-04

John,

Can you (or anybody else) give me an example that there are more than one
labels
in the label set for the inclusive case?

Here is a simple picture: A,B,C and D are OXCs

        +---+     +---+    +---+   +---+
   -----| A |-----| B |----| C |---| D |
        |   |-----|   |----|   |---|   |
        |   |-----|   |----|   |---|   |-----
        +---+     +---+    +---+   +---+

In your example, please specify your assumption about each OXC, that is
whether
or not it support wavelength conversion.

Thanks a lot,

Yangguang

John Drake wrote:

> Announcing wavelength availability information in routing doesn't work
> because of the flooding traffic it would generate, plus there are still
race
> conditions that would have to be handled by signalling anyway.  Label set
> was intended to support wavelength continuity issues.
>
> Also, in the short term, we're dealing with transponder based interfaces
> the DWDM systems so this is a non-issue.  In the longer term, this is just
> another issue like PMD and OSNR that will need to be dealt with.

OSPF,