Re: Moving right along ...

Sudheer,

At the moment I am unable to briefly summarize the differences between GMPLS and
ASON. I was working from the perception that GMPLS could be one of the protocols
supporting ASON. The technical comments I made during the last 10 months were
based on this perception. Also the last comment describing the concept of serial
compound link had this basis. Reading Yanhe's reply I had the impression that
GMPLS is able to support serial compound links, but reading Eric's reply I got
the opposite impression. Furthermore being very surprised by Eric's reaction on
a pure technical issue, I composed a few challenging words to attrack more
people to participate in the  discussion... :-)

Being impressed by the few hundred people attending the last ccamp sessions in
London, I am surprised by the low percentage of those people being actively
contributing to the correspondence. It can't be the case that only a handful of
people have an opinion on these matters... and I believe the discussions would
stay technical if more people express their opinion... there would not be a
yes/no game between just a few people.

With G.8080 (ex. G.ason) and G.7713 (ex. G.dcm) available it will be possible to
start an evaluation of GMPLS as a specific protocol for ASON. As indicated in a
previous email from Steve Trowbridge, ITU-T will make those ASON documents
available to IETF so we can jointly work this evaluation.

The approval of the current ASON recommendations is just a first step within the
larger ASON task. Work is started on other elements of ASON (G.rtg (routing),
G.lm (link management) and pnni based specific protocol as an implementation of
the protocol neutral specification in G.7713)),  discussions are started
identifying further ASON elements, and work to extend G.8080 is planned to start
after this SG15 meeting.

Up to so far... {time to shut down my computer and go to the concert hall in
Geneva... time to relax after a week and a half of hectic work over here...}

Regards,

Maarten

Sudheer Dharanikota wrote:

> Hi Marteen:
>
> Can you briefly summarize the differences you see between
> GMPLS architecture and ASON architecture? This has been
> asked by many of the folks at IETF.
>
> Regards,
>
> sudheer
>
> PS: I thought these mails were about label format and suddenly
> this is turning into an ITU versus IETF discussion :-(
begin:vcard
n:Vissers;Maarten
tel;cell:+31 62 061 3945
tel;fax:+31 35 687 5976
tel;home:+31 35 526 5463
tel;work:+31 35 687 4270
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Optical Network Group;Lucent Technologies Nederland
version:2.1
email;internet:mvissers@lucent.com
title:Consulting Member of Technical Staff
adr;quoted-printable:;;Botterstraat 45=0D=0A=0D=0A;1271 XL Huizen;;;The Netherlands
fn:Maarten Vissers
end:vcard