'GMPLS for ASON' discussion

Hi Zhi:

Sorry I have to change the title of the on going discussion :-)

From the discussions we had let me summarize the "potential" issues
in adopting GMPLS for ASON:

0. Operators may have to have flexibility in selecting IP control
    plane against other control plane.

   As you pointed out in one of the recent mails.. a transport network
   control plane should be independent of the data being carried in the
   data plane. GMPLS does satisfy this need, so should be other control
   planes. What else do we need to do to make everybody comfortable
   here?

1. Call Controller (aka OIF UNI using GMPLS) may need
    enhancements.

    Your conention is that this is not private UNI and
    the line between these enhancements and NNI is bleak. My suggestion
is
    let us move this topic to OIF mailing list in stead of at IETF (if
it
    is ok by you and other folks).

2. Connection controler may pose new GMPLS 'signaling' extensions
    for inter-domain signaling based on federation models in ASON.

    Can you point out the enhancements needed? This is an on going
    work at IETF currently using crankback mechanisms.

3. Link resource manager may pose some new requirements that are
    not supported by bundling and hierarchy works.

    Do we see any additional requirements here?

4. ASON routing control requires support of hierarchical, source-based
   and step-by-step models.

   IETF does support source-based and step-by-step models. IETF is
working on
   hierarchical (inter-area and inter-domain) TE. Do you see any
   additional requirements here?

5. ASON requires standardization of interfaces between all the above
   components.

    Let us look at valid combination of these components and come up
with
    solid requirements.

6. ASON does not vouch for a specific addressing scheme.

    Which leaves an option for IPv4, IPv6 and NSAP addressing formats.

7. GMPLS may be supporting more than ASON required parameters. This
   is due to the principles used for subnetworking by ASON model.

    What is the problem here?

8. Some of the text is not clear from the IETF protocol specifications.

    Refer to GMPLS architecture document. Is this a valid answer?

Any other issues?

Thank you again for the active participation.

Regards,

sudheer