Re: CCAMP WG action items

Shahram,

> Some comments regarding Bonica's GTTP draft:
>
> 1) It relies on IP layer being present and IP management-plane protocol
> (ICMPs) for the trace-probes, and trace-response to trace LSPs (layer
> violation).

layer violation doesn't strike me as a pragmatic consideration...

> 2) It is complicated. It requires many back and forth messages up and down
> the protocol stack (layer violation) and up and down the path to figure
> out the trace.

I would agree with you that it is certainly more complex than
draft-bonica-icmp-mpls-03.txt.

Moreover, while draft-bonica-icmp-mpls-03.txt has been implemented
by several vendors, the implementations have been shown to be
interoperable, and it is being used in the operational environment
for quite some time, the same can't be said for the GTTP draft.

So, with this in mind I'd like to understand the *practical* benefits
that GTTP would bring to the operators *above and beyond* of what
is already provided by draft-bonica-icmp-mpls-03.txt (or could be
trivially added to draft-bonica-icmp-mpls-03.txt).

Yakov.