Re: LCAS and draft-mannie-ccamp-gmpls-lbm-tdm-00.txt

Zhi,

I read here the fourth sentence of the Annex:
"The scheme allows hit-less addition and removal of
bandwidth under control of a management system."

Then in the LCAS document Section 3.18
"The LCAS assumes that in cases of capacity initiation,
increases or decreases, the construction or destruction
of the end-to-end path is the responsibility of the
Network and Element Management Systems."

So i think these sentences are clear within your documents
- i am not responsible for this - you are the author not
me or probably we have different interpretations of NMS
systems.

- dimitri.

Zhi-Wei Lin wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> I would like to understand your statement:
>
> "LCAS makes a lot of sense for a static network where provisioning
> occurs through a Network Management System."
>
> Is this your view of LCAS, that it is strictly limited to a static
> network & that it is triggered only by NMS?
>
> Zhi
>
> Mannie, Eric wrote:
>
> > Hello Maarten,
> >

> >>Any sentence in which LCAS and ASON/GMPLS are compared shows a lack of
> >>understanding of LCAS's objective (my very strong opinion).
> >>

> > Sorry, do you mean that it is forbidden to speak about your LCAS document
> > and to compare GMPLS and LCAS functionalities ?
> >

> >>LCAS plays a role after the extra connection is setup or before a
> >>
> > connection is released. How this
> > connection is setup or released is not relevant for LCAS.
> >
> > GMPLS plays a role for all the cases that you described: to setup a
> > connection, to maintain a connection, to modify a connection, to release a
> > connection, etc.
> >
> > LCAS makes a lot of sense for a static network where provisioning occurs
> > through a Network Management System.
> >
> > A distributed control plane (like GMPLS) with LCAS doesn't make any sense.
> > LCAS does a small subset of GMPLS LBM. MPLS and GMPLS were designed from the
> > beginning to allow LSP (bandwidth) modification.
> >
> > Do you mean that your implementation of GMPLS will not support any
> > bandwidth/LSP modification ?
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Eric

begin:vcard
n:Dimitri;Papadimitriou Dimitri
tel;home:+32 2 3434361
tel;work:+32 3 2408491
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.alcatel.com
org:Alcatel Bell;IPO NA (NSG) - Antwerpen
version:2.1
email;internet:dimitri.papadimitriou@alcatel.be
title:Optical Networking R&S - Senior Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;Francis Wellesplein, 1=0D=0AB-2018 Antwerpen;;;;BELGIUM
fn:Papadimitriou Dimitri
end:vcard