Re: LCAS and draft-mannie-ccamp-gmpls-lbm-tdm-00.txt

Hi Eric,

I think you're a network scientist! I think we need to look at
classifications of what "signalling protocol" refers to. I think from
what Maarten mentioned, it seems like he equates "signaling protocol" to
"control plane signaling protocol". There is probably a need for
differentiating between:

A protocol at the control plane
A protocol at the transport plane
A protocol at the management plane

Clearly GMPLS is a control plane protocol. And I think it's pretty clear
that LCAS is a transport plane protocol and not control plane protocol.
And if you think about it, the exchange of transport layer maintenance
signals (such as AIS, FDI, RDI, etc.) can also be considered a transport
plane signaling protocol, albeit a simple protocol.

But you're right. This is not the point.

Zhi