RE: LCAS and draft-mannie-ccamp-gmpls-lbm-tdm-00.txt

Hello Stephen

> GMPLS-LBM and LCAS ARE solutions to different problems.

No, please see explanations below.

> If you use LBM and change the mappings at the two ends without some
coordination such as LCAS, you will have a glitch to the traffic
(I think this is simple enough).

No, please see below (C2 or V5 transition).

>The compare/contrast discussion of LBM and LCAS is appropriate not
>because LCAS is "sacred", but because you are comparing apples to
>oranges. Statements in this document such as "One drawback of LCAS is .."
>are unnecessary and inappropriate in this context, since LBM does
>NOT solve the problem LCAS was designed to solve. Perhaps if you
>were solving the SAME problem better, this would be OK, but this
>is not the case.

No, please see below.

Simple example:

1) you first signal an additional VC/SPE to the destination (via a Path).
2) the destination knows exactly which VC/SPE is added (via the label).
3) the new VC is unequipped (indicated in POH C2 (for HOVC)),
   so the VC/SPE is not yet added to concatenated signal.
4) then, you wait at the source for a confirmation from the destination
(i.e. Resv).
5) the source "equip" the VC/SPE and sends.
6) the destination sees in the POH that the VC is "equipped" (transition).

The difference between LCAS and LBM is that LCAS uses an additional explicit
indication in the overhead to say "this is the payload" to use. LBM doesn't
change the SDH/SONET overhead, while LCAS changes the SDH/SONET overhead :-)

LCAS uses a new field in the POH (CTRL) to know when the new VC transitions
to a significant payload. LBM proposes to do the same simply by looking at
the C2 (for HOVC) transition - regular SDH/SONET field that will change
anyway and that is used to indicate the type of payload.

To be more precise about LCAS (I copy from the LCAS specification, section
6.3.1): "The first container frame to contain payload data for the new
member shall be the container frame immediately following the container
frame that contained the last bit(s) (i.e. the CRC) of the control packet
with NORM/EOS message for that member" (the LCAS control packet).

So, LCAS waits for the last bit of the appropriate LCAS control packet in
the POH with the appropriate transition of its CTRL field. LBM waits simply
for the appropriate C2 (for HOVC) or V5 (for LOVC) transition in the POH
(don't change SDH/SONET).

By the way, this is version 0 of the draft and it was just posted.

Suggestions, technical comments and improvements are welcome.

I would appreciate if people could first read and speak before shooting
directly :-)

Kind regards,

Eric