Re: LCAS and draft-mannie-ccamp-gmpls-lbm-tdm-00.txt

Greg,

Thanks for this summary. I like it.

ASON/GMPLS like connection establishment and LCAS are in my view indeed
complementary, like NMS like connection establishment and LCAS.

Regards,

Maarten

"Bernstein, Greg" wrote:

> Hi all, from my somewhat application biased notion of LCAS and its relation
> to GMPLS/G.ASON.
> I thought I would get two major features from LCAS:
> (1) Hitless (for packet data services) changes in bandwidth by coordinating
> between the end systems the exact time (virtual frame) when the new
> component comes on line. (or old component stops being used).  I've kinda
> viewed LCAS as a path layer service (this may not be theoretically correct)
> but I've got to use some mechanism to set up need component paths, then use
> LCAS to bring them into use without say loosing an Ethernet or IP packet in
> the process.  Similarly on reduction in bandwidth, LCAS allows me to
> hitlessly take a component out of service. Then I use some other process two
> actually remove the component path from the network and free up the network
> resources.
>
> (2) Graceful degradation in the presence of failure (especially with
> diversely routed components).
> Here LCAS is use by the end systems (virtual concatenation capable systems)
> to coordinate which components are still functional and coordinate there use
> after a failure.
>
> Eric, Maarten?  I really thought LCAS and GMPLS/G.ASON like connection
> establishment were quite complementary with no real overlap, e.g., I'd still
> might want bandwidth modify at the GMPLS level so I don't have to keep track
> of all the components individually (application 1.) and this is somewhat
> different than  what you'd want to do for application (2).
>
> Greg B.
>
> ***********************************
> Dr. Greg M. Bernstein
> Senior Technology Director, Ciena Corporation

begin:vcard
n:Vissers;Maarten
tel;cell:+31 62 061 3945
tel;fax:+31 35 687 5976
tel;home:+31 35 526 5463
tel;work:+31 35 687 4270
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Optical Network Group;Lucent Technologies Nederland
version:2.1
email;internet:mvissers@lucent.com
title:Consulting Member of Technical Staff
adr;quoted-printable:;;Botterstraat 45=0D=0A=0D=0A;1271 XL Huizen;;;The Netherlands
fn:Maarten Vissers
end:vcard