draft-papadim-ccamp-gmpls-sonet-sdh-interwork-00.txt

All,

I had a look on contribution
"draft-papadim-ccamp-gmpls-sonet-sdh-interwork-00.txt" and would like to provide
some comment.

1) I "liked" :-( the first sentence in section 2: "This section describes how
SDH and SONET can interwork at the transport plane level." I only thought that
this was already defined for many years in G.707. :-)
A reference to section 6.4/G.707 seems more appropriate, as it will show
interconnection in general between VC-3 transport in multiplex sections (AU-3,
STS-1) and VC-4 paths (TU-3).
It will also show interconnection between VC-11 transport in VC-11 link
connections (TU-11, VT1.5) and VC-12 link connections (TU-12).

2) From a connection management perspective (scope of the control plane), the
STS-1, Higher Order VC-3 and Lower Order VC-3 can be treated as one signal type.
Interworking happens simply within the VC-3 layer network by means of connecting
a (HO)VC-3/STS-1/(LO)VC-3 SNP with another (HO)VC-3/STS-1/(LO)VC-3 SNP.
It is unimportant how the VC-3/STS-1 arrives/departs at/from the VC-3/STS-1 SNP;
i.e. it could be within a STM-N/OC-N multiplex section, VC-4, E4 or E3.

Links (link bundles) which support VC-3/STS-1 link connections will simply
advertise this capability via their LSAs. A VC-3 fabric having two VC-3
supporting links (link bundles) can "blindly" connect a VC-3/STS-1 SNP within
the first link to a VC-3/STS-1 SNP within the second link.

3) SONET/SDH interworking GMPLS gateway function seems only necessary due to the
fact that two LSP Encoding Types were allocated. If just one LSP Encoding Type
would be allocated for both SDH and SONET, we would not require any GMPLS
SDH-SONET interworking functionality.

Therefore my proposal to merge SDH and SONET LSP Encoding types into one
codepoint referred to as SDH/SONET.

Regards,

Maarten
begin:vcard
n:Vissers;Maarten
tel;cell:+31 62 061 3945
tel;fax:+31 35 687 5976
tel;home:+31 35 526 5463
tel;work:+31 35 687 4270
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Optical Network Group;Lucent Technologies Nederland
version:2.1
email;internet:mvissers@lucent.com
title:Consulting Member of Technical Staff
adr;quoted-printable:;;Botterstraat 45=0D=0A=0D=0A;1271 XL Huizen;;;The Netherlands
fn:Maarten Vissers
end:vcard