Re: draft-bellato-ccamp-g709-framework-01.txt

Eric,

"Mannie, Eric" wrote:

> Hello Maarten,
>
> > I had a look at draft-bellato-ccamp-g709-framework-01.txt and must
> conclude that
> >this document redescribes G.709.
>
> > As such we should not progress draft-bellato-ccamp-g709-framework-01.txt.
>
> This draft started some time ago (and version 01 is not published yet). I
> saw private e-mail exchanges between the co-authors in which you are
> involved. Do I have to understand that there are new stuffs that you don't
> like ? Did the scope of the draft changed ?

As I indicated in my follow up email I should have referred to the generic
"G.709 Framework" item, rather than the latest (unpublished) draft.

> Could you tell us why you are co-author of this draft ?

I don't know. My name was put onto the document, most likely as I had commented
on it before. I don't know what the rules are in the IETF to be co-author. I was
told that as co-author you can influence a document as you will be part of a
closed editor's group who prepares the next draft. As such I hadn't taken any
action to get my name removed, despite I did not agree with e.g. proposed
extensions to G.709. I.e. similar situation exists with respect to the sonet-sdh
document, where I have never agreed with the SUKLM numbering or AUG-X issues.

> And why such a statement now ?

Driven by the same things as Juergen described in his email this afternoon;
i.e. the new I-Ds that came out last week, my question to ccamp, Randy's
answer, my recognition of the wider implication of that answer, and then the
normal drive for action (don't wait; learned something new, then share it).
Choice of words on Friday's is not always the best (try to do too many things
before the weekend kind of syndrome).

> >Reading this document and other contributions redescribing aspects of
> SDH/SONET
> >caused the following titles to appear in to my mind :-)
> >       "OTN for dummies" or "OTN explained" by the IETF
> >       "SDH/SONET for dummies" or "SDH/SONET explained" by the IETF
>
> I'll try to interpret these previous sentences in a non negative way for all
> the people involved in SONET, SDH and OTN at the IETF (and I am not the guy
> that was the most surprised - I am used to it now :-).

Thanks.

Concerning the titles, I tried to be very careful stating that they appeared in
MY mind when I looked at the recent I-Ds. I.e. I tried to stay away from
generalizing.
Underlying this all is my understanding/assumption that it is not within the
scope of IETF to write documents explaining other standards.

> Quoting a guy called Maarten Vissers:
>
> "I had hoped that the time in which IETF characters are looking for
> confrontations with ITU-T characters was left behind."

I wasn't looking for confrontation when I wrote the email... just a follow up of
a statement/direction I consider to come from a top IETF person.

Regards,

Maarten

> I hope that the character that some of us are playing are not coming from
> popular books. This issue reminds me a novel of Stevenson published in 1886:
> "The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mister Hide".
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Eric
>
> Eric Mannie
>
> (or Dr. Lanyon should I say :-)

begin:vcard
n:Vissers;Maarten
tel;cell:+31 62 061 3945
tel;fax:+31 35 687 5976
tel;home:+31 35 526 5463
tel;work:+31 35 687 4270
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Optical Network Group;Lucent Technologies Nederland
version:2.1
email;internet:mvissers@lucent.com
title:Consulting Member of Technical Staff
adr;quoted-printable:;;Botterstraat 45=0D=0A=0D=0A;1271 XL Huizen;;;The Netherlands
fn:Maarten Vissers
end:vcard