Re: Label Set Object

John,

John Drake wrote:

> Is it the case that ALL current SONET/SDH equipment has the restriction that
> the labels (timeslots) must be the same in both directions?

Nobody can answer this question, while none of us has a complete overview of
equipment in the field and under design :-).

SDH/SONET (and OTN) networks are networks optimised for bi-directional
connectivity. Uni-directional connections are supported as kind of "exception"
on the generic bidirectional rule. SDH standards are assuming bidirectional
connectivity.
Sometimes a unidirectional connection causes the set up of a bidirectional
connection of which only one direction is used (and alarming in the other
direction is disabled).

People are asking questions with respect to unidirectional connection support in
SDH standards. The use of functional modelling method supports so far the
specific unidirectional connection issues (e.g. no RDI/REI return) raised; but
it is only at this point where you can show how a unidir connection would/should
behave.

> If this is the
> case, then it's really simple; for an SONET/SDH LSP, only the upstream label
> needs to be specified, and the downstream label MUST be the same.
>
> One the other hand, if not all current SONET/SDH equipment has this
> restriction or the current SONET/SDH standards allow the labels (timeslots)

SDH/SONET networks are build with the requirement that the timeslots in the two
directions are the same. (Note - same requirement applies to ATM networks in
which VPI/VCI for the two directions must be the same).

Regards,

Maarten

> to be different in each direction, then label set with one value or explicit
> label control would be useful for equipment that does have this restriction.

begin:vcard
n:Vissers;Maarten
tel;cell:+31 62 061 3945
tel;fax:+31 35 687 5976
tel;home:+31 35 526 5463
tel;work:+31 35 687 4270
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Optical Network Group;Lucent Technologies Nederland
version:2.1
email;internet:mvissers@lucent.com
title:Consulting Member of Technical Staff
adr;quoted-printable:;;Botterstraat 45=0D=0A=0D=0A;1271 XL Huizen;;;The Netherlands
fn:Maarten Vissers
end:vcard