Re: LCAS and GMPLS

Hi,

I'd like to put my 50c into this discussion.

1. I don't think that just using the same Session object for all VCAT
component LSPs will work. Why ? If you signal them with the SE reservation
style they will share resources on common links and you don't want this to
happen. If you signal them with the FF reservation style you will not be
able to do make-before-break.

2. Association object seems to be a good solution. Today we have the
Association object of two types:

a) Protection: allows to associate protecting and protected LSPs;
b) Resource sharing: allows to associate groups of LSPs with different
Session IDs, so that one can perform make-before-break procedures for entire
group.

You can put any number of Association objects into the same Path message.

I think for the purpose of VCAT we need to introduce an Association object
of the third type (let's call it VCAT Association object): generally
speaking, it will allow associating LSPs with different Sessions IDs that
are used as a single unit from the user perspective. My understanding is
that this object will be useful only on the egress of all of the
LPS-components: ingress node knows the association anyway, transit nodes do
not care (am I right ?). All LSP-components will have distinct Session IDs,
will be signaled with SE reservation style and include this new (identical)
Association object. This would allow managing each component individually
(including individual make-before-break operations). It will be also
possible to perform "global" make-before-break for entire VCAT group. This
could be easily achieved by signaling in each of new components an
Association object of Resource sharing type (in addition to Association
object of VCAT type) which will be a copy of Association object of VCAT type
of the existing group.

I guess I've lost everybody by now :=)

Igor