Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2005 4:36 PM
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ccamp-lsp-stitching-01.txt

igor - see in-line

beside this i welcome the serious re-writing effort provided by the authors compared to the previous version of this document

IB>> Agree, this a signifficant step in the right direction

"Igor Bryskin" <ibryskin@movaz.com>
Sent by: owner-ccamp@ops.ietf.org
07/17/2005 13:18 AST

To: <i-d-announce@ietf.org>, <Internet-Drafts@ietf.org>
cc: <ccamp@ops.ietf.org>
bcc:

Arthi && JP.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Why are saying that LSP Stitching is a private case of LSP Hierarchy?

[dp] purpose is imho on the control plane mechanism and from this perspective only point 4) remains - the effect of having a "logical" TE link -

IMO there is more differences than similarities:
The differences are:
1) In case of H-LSP there is a data plane adjacency, while in case of S-LSP
there is none (as you correctly pointed out);
2) In case of H-LSP there is an adaptation in data plane (label push/pop for
PSC), while in case of S-LSP there is none - just simple cross-connecting
( label swap) as in case of two "native " e2e LSP adjacent segments ;
3) H-LSP could be used by many e2e LSPs, while S-LSP could be used by
exactly one e2e LSP
4) Signaling is different - there is no label negotiation in stitching
5) H-LSP is used as a "true" data link, specifically there is a resource
allocation on the H-LSP edges, while in case of S-LSP there is none
6) From MLN point of view, H-LSP is created in a server (lower) layer, while
the S-LSP is created in the client (same as e2e LSP) layer.

There are two similarities that I can think of:
1) There is a signaling and possibly routing (see below) adjacencies between
the ends;
2) Both H-LSP and S-LSP could be advertised as separate TE links or as TE
bundles

I would recommend to dedicate a paragraph and enlist there similarities and
differencies

[dp] i would simply recommend to state what an LSP segment is (as stated, this comparison has been used to show differences in terms of control plane processing and keeping it at that level is sensible) and not embark this document into terms and complex comparisons that are at the end of no real help

2. Why are you saying that a TE Link based on S-LSP can be used for exactly
one e2e LSP? Parallel S-LSPs could be advertised as a single TE link
(bundle, see above) and hence can accomadate several e2e LSPs.

[dp] i think the purpose is to say that a "triggered" LSP segment can be used by a single end-to-end LSP compared to the situation occurring with FA, where the triggered FA-LSP can then carry multiple nested LSPs

IB>> It is possible to imagine that a single e2e LSP triggers several parallel S-LSPs which could be advertised as a single TE link. Besides, it is even more easy to imagine that S-LSPs are pre-provisioned in one TE domain and advertised as bundles into other domains

3. You are saying that S-LSP does not have a routing peering. Actually, in
this respect it is no different from H-LSP: if it is advertised as a TE link
into the same TE domain  that was used for S-LSP creation (unlikely IMO
scenario) than it does not require the routing adjacency (in other words, it
is an FA according to LSP-HIER definition), otherwise, it IS  NOT and FA and
does require the direct routing peering in the domain it is advertised to
make it useful as a TE link in this domain

[dp] again the document correctly states that a routing adj. is not going to be established on the LSP segment

IB>> This is not true. If an S-LSP is advertised in a different domain, there needs to be a routing peering between the ends of the S-LSP in the domain it is advertised in order for the S-LSP to be used as a TE link. There is no difference here compared to Hierarchical LSP (H-LSP)

Cheers,
Igor