Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ccamp-lsp-stitching-01.txt

Arthi,

One more comment. I think the draft should give a clear and unambiguous
answer to how e2e LSP and a stitching LSP (S-LSP) relate from the switching
capability point of view. Specifically, should they belong to the same
network layer, should they share the same switching type or maybe there are
no limitations at all, and you can stitch your e2e LSP pretty much with
anything you got, provided that this "anything" has enough bandwidth.

Let me give you a specific example. Is it possible to stitch a PSC1 e2e LSP
with a PSC2 S-LSP? You probably remember our discussion with Kireeti in
Minneapolis (and you were also part of it), and he said (and I 100% agree
with him) that although it is doable (you can do anything you want with the
label stack), it is not right and this should be logically prohibited. What
you should do in this case is to nest the e2e LSP within the PSC2 LSP (that
is, use it as H-LSP) even in case it consumes the entire PSC2 LSP bandwidth.

It is more clear in non-PSC cases. Although it is possible to "stitch" an
e2e VC12 LSP with a VC4 S-LSP, I could not imagine that a network operator
would ever agree with such solution. He is likely to say " What ?  If the
service is supposed to stay for 12 month, than for entire year I pretty much
burry my 62 VC12 channels - I cannot use them even conceptually in case
when, say, on the next day I'll have to provide another 62 VC12 services
that could've used these wasted resources"

On the other hand I know plenty GMPLS people who would say: "Sure, no
problem. Of course we can stitch a PSC e2e LSP with lambda S-LSP:  If
somebody wants to do a trick stupid as it is, why should we prevent him from
doing so?"

The bottom line is that a discussion like this in the draft and consensus
on how we see the stitching IMO would be extremely valuable for the GMPLS
multi-layer story, and I don't see a reason why this could not be achieved
in the frame of this work.

Igor