RE: Ethernet Control Plane [Was: Re: Frameformat in a l2cs gmpls rnvironment.]

Adrian,

I don't understand why you have renamed the thread "Ethernet Control Plane" in response to my email. I haven't even mentioned an Ethernet Control Plane.

I'm quite aware that GMPLS uses IP labelled control protocol packets and I haven't suggested removing IP and just using Ethernet. In fact, I would have thought my analogy with how a management VLAN is used today (e.g. for ICMP ping and telnet) would have demonstrated that.

I am simply saying that for two GMPLS peers to send (IP labelled) control protocol packets to each other, they must agree to encapsulate the packets using either untagged Ethernet frames or using tagged Ethernet frames with a common VLAN ID. Again, I'm not saying this is an issue, just something that needs to be considered. Switches are not routers and normally only send/receive locally addressed IP packets via the management VLAN, e.g. to ping between two directly connected switches the interfaces they are connected via must both be configured to be in the same management VLAN.

Regards,
Richard