RE: Frameformat in a l2cs gmpls rnvironment.

Richard,

IEEE recommends to use Ethernet Length/Type code for distinguishing control frames.
All GARP, GVRP, GMPR and other proposed OAM frame follow this rule.
IEEE particulary discourages using some number in data forwarding address
being used for exchange of control data. An example is using some multicast address
for exchange of hello frames. This rule is also applied to the case of VLAN forwarding.
I think this policy is to prevent control chaos with other L2 protocols.
We need to be careful in taking approach to use some L2-LSP exclusively
for control plane because it may result in unwanted conflict with both people and machine.

Regards,

Jaihyung

?? ??: "richard.spencer@bt.com" <richard.spencer@bt.com>
?? ??: 2005-07-22 ?? 8:44:08
?? ??: "per@defero.se" <per@defero.se>, "loa@pi.se" <loa@pi.se>
??: "ccamp@ops.ietf.org" <ccamp@ops.ietf.org>
??: RE: Frameformat in a l2cs gmpls rnvironment.

Regardless of whether or not a switch is directly connected to hosts, it must be able to forward packets using the connectionless Ethernet data plane. This is due to the fundamental requirement that for GMPLS switches to be able to exchange control information with each other, a data plane for control traffic must be present. This is akin to using the IP data plane for MPLS signalling in an IP/MPLS network. An alternative would be to use a static reserved L2-LSP for control traffic in the same way that reserved VPI/VCIs are used for PNNI signalling in ATM.

Regarding connecting hosts to GMPLS switches, I personally don't think extending L2-LSPs into the enterprise/home network is commercially viable. However, if you do want to use GMPLS switches in the home/enterprise network and for some reason don't want to extend L2-LSPs down to the host then you will not be performing normal Ethernet Mac address switching anyway. Instead you will need some kind of policy on the switch that maps connectionless Ethernet packets (e.g. based on MAC src/dest, 802.1p, VLAN) to a L2-LSP. This is because multiple L2-LSPs to the same destination (e.g. a gateway router) may exist for different services/flows (e.g. video download, VoIP call, etc.).

Regards,
Richard