RE: Ethernet Control Plane [Was: Re: Frameformat in a l2cs gmpls rnvironment.]

Title: Message
Ok thanks Adrian,

Re-reading what I wrote and your response (and John's) I can see I did an awful job of trying to explain what I really meant...and I'm not surprised you responded as you did.  So my apologies for letting frustration get the better of me.  Trying to express it better:

Its simply not true that one can have a 'common' control-plane approach from IP to Optics.......for many reasons such as: the modal differences demand different approaches, who owns what layer network, the notion that one can create topology on the fly, the commercial factors that govern GoS network build-out, the relative importance of the control-plane vs the management plane (which also varies with network mode and where you are in the stack), etc.

However, if you go back some time the impression that was originally 'sold' to folks was that there IS this common control-plane from IP to Optics.  This view may have mellowed now, but I still see evidence of it of every now and then....and its when I see things that IMO are being somewhat 'economical with the truth' that I tend to react.

I also don't like it when folks go break architectural rules and 'pretend its OK/good'.  This is not generally an issue in CCAMPs as its jolly hard to do much damage to the co-cs mode....but you can for sure create havoc in the co-ps mode.   And at the end of the day arch violations and functional omissions/deficiencies end up as operational problems and opex costs in our networks.  If more folks understood functional architecture stuff I suspect this would help control this particular issue better.

We therefore have the real situation that there is no forced technical reason to be prescriptive in the choice of control-plane functional components when we are dealing with our major SDH/OTN co-cs transport networks.....which, of course, also have nothing to do with the public Internet   That is, they can be chosen on a best-of-breed basis.

I am also a little concerned that some folks might naively assume that a control-plane is going to solve all their management-plane issues......when we move down the network stack to the duct there are a whole raft of factors that mean the management-plane still dominates here.  If you talk to the right folks in the operators who run these types of network you will indeed understand what I mean by this.

A control-plane is useful in the major co-cs transport networks (mainly for S-PVCs and resilience) but its a minor player compared to role of the management-plane.   The converse of course holds in a *traffic* carrying cl-ps  IP network, esp when this is in the context of the public Internet.....but of course this isn't the case here and IP is only being used as the transport protocol in the OOB data-plane network that carries the control/management-plane protocols.

These were points I wanted to make.....hopefully I've done a better job this time.

regards, Neil