From: <neil.2.harrison@bt.com>
To: <John.E.Drake2@boeing.com>; <adrian@olddog.co.uk>; <richard.spencer@bt.com>;
<juergen.heiles@siemens.com>; <loa@pi.se>; <per@defero.se>
Cc: <ccamp@ops.ietf.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2005 2:15 PM
Subject: RE: Ethernet Control Plane [Was: Re: Frameformat in a l2cs gmpls
rnvironment.]

> > > IP is cl-ps networking techology period....and its
> > > jolly important, but PLEASE don't try and feed me any of this 'IP
> > > control plane' nonsense.
>
> JD:  Over the years I have enjoyed Neil's rants immensely,
> but I have to say that this one is a classic.

NH=> Thanks John for the kind words....its good to know you've had at
least something to smile about ;-)

Seriously though, see my updated response to Adrian.  But if you are
still struggling to grasp what I mean by the above (out of context
quote) try this:

A single cl-ps IP network carrying traffic and everything else (eg
public Internet) is very different animal to a co-cs network system
where the traffic data-plane network and control/management data-planes
network are logically disjoint, ie the role of IP in the latter is
importantly different to the role of IP in the former...and let's hope
never the 2 shall meet.

regards, neil