Re: draft-ietf-grip-isp-00.txt now available

In the light of comments on Source Address Filtering I've rewritten
section 4.2 as follows (and made the title more appropriate - I now deal
with real route filtering in section 5).

4.2 Ingress Filtering on Source Address

   Attackers frequently cover their tracks by using forged source
   addresses.  To divert attention from their own site the source
   address they choose will generally be from an innocent remote site or
   indeed from those addresses that are allocated for private Internets
   [RFC1918].  In addition, forged source addresses are frequently used
   in spoof-based attacks in order to exploit a trust relationship
   between hosts.

   To prevent attacks that rely on forged source addresses ISPs should do
   the following.  At the boundary router with each of their customers
   they should proactively filter all traffic coming from the customer
   that has a source address of something other than the addresses that
   have been assigned to that customer.

   In addition, ISPs should filter (and optionally log) all traffic with
   source addresses from the address space allocated for private
   Internets.

   There are circumstances where ingress filtering is not currently
   possible, for example on large aggregation routers that cannot take
   the additional load.  In addition, such filtering can cause difficulty
   for mobile users.  Hence, while the use of this technique to prevent
   spoofing is strongly encouraged, I realise that it is not always
   feasible.

Tom.
--
Tom Killalea   (425) 649-7417    NorthWestNet
               tomk@nwnet.net