Re: This WG in context of RFC 2277

--On 2000-01-26 09.00 -0500, "J. William Semich" <bill@mail.nic.nu> wrote:

> I'd like to know how (or if)
> participants in this WG see our work in relation to RFC 2277, in
> particular in relation to the section which says

If needed, RFC 2277 have to be updated. I personally, and as a member of
IESG, belive the DNS is such important protocol that I am prepared doing
quite a lot of work to get this a real working solution.

Note that we already by saying that "domainnames should be
internationalized" (or something like that) say that we need to update a
whole bunch of RFCs defining things like SMTP, HTTP and all other things
which uses domainnames. We need to at least review the various protocols.

So, we can definitely not say that things are done by finishing the iDNS
work.

This is a major work item for the IETF which impacts a lot of things. One
can not, I repeat not, "just" fix things by storing things in DNS and hope
that applications using domainnames can handle some encoding without
reviewing the RFCs specifying the applications, and probably updating them.

Anything else will lead to incompatible software implementations.

   paf