Re: [idn] time to move

At 08:45 AM 5/23/2001, D. J. Bernstein wrote:
>More procedural flaws with this poll: the Subject line doesn't identify
>it as a poll; and the deadline, today, is only three days after the poll
>was announced.

Only two more flaws?  Dan, you can do better than that.  Remember, this is
a survey and survey research involves extraordinarily subtle forces.

oops.  it's really a straw poll.  not a precise measure of the group.

>I didn't say anything about ``the sense of the mailing list.'' I said
>``Many of us think that moving at this point would be premature.'' Do
>you understand what the word ``many'' means?

Indeed.  The style of use that you employed is for the purpose of conveying
import.  It attempts to claim that their is a substantial force behind a
statement.

Unfortunately it is typically used as a debating technique when there is
little real and objective substance to the "Many".  That is, where "many"
really is more like the meaning used in very early societies, with limited
math.  They would count one, two three, many.

>Of course it matters. Proposals compete on their merits. The very first
>sentence of the IDNA ``design philosophy'' is the incorrect claim that
>all previous proposals require changes to DNS servers.

The merit of a proposal is based on its technical content, Dan.

d/

Dave Crocker   <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg InternetWorking   <http://www.brandenburg.com>
tel: +1.408.246.8253;   fax: +1.408.273.6464