Re: [idn] report of the straw poll

At 12:10 PM -0400 5/25/01, J. William Semich wrote:
>Paul - The opinions of the tiny subset of 36 members of this WG do not
>represent a "vast" majority of anything whatsoever in the truly vast set of
>multi-millions of Internet users, systems and application developers, and
>connectivity providers.

So, what are you suggesting that we do instead? Because the IETF
cannot ever get the opinions of even 1% of all Internet users as we
develop new Internet protocols, are you saying we should just stop
working on them right now? If so, who do you propose should work on
Internet protocols? No other standards body polls any significant
percentage of Internet users before creating protocols, and no
private company does so before it creates its own proprietary
protocols. Are you saying that no more protocols should be developed
by anyone?

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium