Re: [idn] report of the straw poll

I think we should wrok harder to get consensus, that's all. Among the 14
are representatives of the interests of many millions of users, working all
over the world with systems using established protocols based on UTF-8,
etc. That should be given some weight as well.

I agree it would be a good idea to put forward a single alternative to IDNA
for consideration ...

Bill

At 09:28 AM 5/25/01 -0700, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
>At 12:10 PM -0400 5/25/01, J. William Semich wrote:
>>Paul - The opinions of the tiny subset of 36 members of this WG do not
>>represent a "vast" majority of anything whatsoever in the truly vast set of
>>multi-millions of Internet users, systems and application developers, and
>>connectivity providers.
>
>So, what are you suggesting that we do instead? Because the IETF
>cannot ever get the opinions of even 1% of all Internet users as we
>develop new Internet protocols, are you saying we should just stop
>working on them right now? If so, who do you propose should work on
>Internet protocols? No other standards body polls any significant
>percentage of Internet users before creating protocols, and no
>private company does so before it creates its own proprietary
>protocols. Are you saying that no more protocols should be developed
>by anyone?
>
>--Paul Hoffman, Director
>--Internet Mail Consortium

Bill Semich