Re: [idn] IAB letter on IDNs and VeriSign

<quote>
[14] At the core of all of the IAB's concerns is the architectural principle that the DNS is a lookup service which must behave in an interoperable, predictable way at all levels of the DNS hierarchy. Furthermore, as a lookup service it is such a fundamental part of the Internet's infrastructure that converting it to an application-based search service, as the deployed system does, is not appropriate even in the case where the query presented would not normally map to a registered domain.
</quote>

I have to accept IAB's concerns about VGRS solutions. But,  if such solutions will be timedout and
phased out after 2 years and operated with care under IAB's new "operational guidelines", those harms can be
minimized, while it will give great boostup to plugins distributions. I expect ICANN will consider the
bright side of the solutions and make balanced decisions. Many asian region  NICs are considering to
  put even non-ASCII labels in their zone (not IDNA-compatibile) with slightly different approaches, even
after they become fully aware of those caveats behind their approaches.

IDNA/stringprep/nameprep introduce confusions,collisions and uncertainty to the DNS systems much more
than VGRS specific implementation/deployment solutions does ,as explained in ICANN BoD's last resolutions in
Shanghai.. IESG/IAB are willing to justify that IDNA by supplemental Registrations guidelines ?
If IDNA can be justified in such a way, why not VGRS solutions ?   :-)
Still I hope IAB can express such consistent conservatism  also to IDNA/nameprep itself, which is
the source of all these hassles....

Soobok Lee