[idn] Re: IDN Registration Integrity

charset="us-ascii"
Sender: owner-idn@ops.ietf.org

AM
amitbusy@hotmail.com
Re: IDN Registration Integrity

As an individual concerned with the future of IDNs, I would like to
recommend that ICANN seriously consider incorporating a clause in their
registry agreements that ensures registrants that their IDN =
registrations
will be valid through all changes in registry operators, through all
standards' progressions, through to the day when multi-lingual domains =
will
be incorporated into zone files as are ASCII domains.

Though confident in ICANN, the IETF, and Registry Operators, individuals =
are
concerned that their IDNs are the work of proprietary standards put =
forth by
the Registry Operators.  Plug-in applications used as a link between =
ASCII
names and their multi-lingual equivalents further this suspicion.  =
Though
the suspicion is false, I learned the truth only after speaking to a =
number
of individuals at my registrar, Verisign-GRS, ICANN and the IETF working
group.  Still, they could not be completely certain that "your name =
would
always be your name." =20

The question at hand is are my current IDN registrations so-called
"ICANN-certified" registrations, as are the ASCII domains of today?  In
ASCII registrations, I am confident that through all registry operator
changes, through any accidental deletions or transfers of my domain, I =
can
be assured that my domain name will be valid and governed by ICANN =
policies.
I would like to be assured that not just my ASCII "bq--" or "xn--" =
string
will be "ICANN-certified" but that its multi-lingual equivalent will =
always
be a constant registration, valid and governed by ICANN policies, =
through to
the day when multi-lingual domains will be incorporated into zone files =
as
are ASCII domains.

Again, after learning about the issue, I am most confident that "my
registration will most likely always be my registration."  This is =
probably
not a major issue.  Still, it may be worth clarification from ICANN.  =
Any
discussions or statements by the applicable IDN committees in future
meetings would be most appreciated.

Thank you for your consideration.

Best wishes,
AM