Re: Some additional obscure questions...

HI Michael,

As an "old-timer" on the SMI, I appreciate your "searching for the truth".
But, on the other hand, it appears to me (and maybe to others), that in
your zeal to find the truth, you are being more concerned with legalistic
aspects of parsing small pieces of the SMI and ASN.1 definitions than
understanding the intent of the documents. Also, there is the balancing
of the "current practices" with the text in the definitions. After all,
the definitions are suppose to be the codification of existing
practices, and not the other way. Finally, it appears to me that
it would be more helpful if you were to describe the consequences
(the first, second, third, etc order affects) of alternative
interpretations.

The interpretation of the semantics of the IMPORTS clause is
difficult because there are dependences, and they affect the
strategy that would be taken in writing a MIB parser.

Please note, and I'm sorry if it sounds like a broken record,
that the MACRO definitions in the SMI are NOT valid ASN.1. Once
you understand this, then I believe that it makes understanding
the SMI easier. Also key in understanding the SMI, is that there
were some misunderstandings of ASN.1 by the original authors of
the SMI, and the editors of the current SMI tried to find the
proper balance between a "total rewrite" and just "typographical"
fixes. I believe that the current SMI is quite a bit more
1) complete, 2) unambiguous, and 3) self-consistent than earlier
versions. However, there are still problems with the text of the
current SMI. Where those problems are identified, it would
most benefit the community of users of the SMI to document
the problems and provide alternative fixes with the consequences
of those fixes.

Regards,
/david t. perkins