From: Andrew Smith [mailto:ah_smith@acm.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 11:11 AM
To: 'Mibs Mailing List'
Subject: RE: draft-ietf-ops-mib-review-guidelines-01.txt is now
available

I would second Bob's opinions on this issue (all those expressed so far
at least :-)).

I make particular objection to Andy's statement that these are
"practical guidelines on how to configure these programs to check a MIB
so it will meet IETF expectations". This is newspeak for "if you don't
buy or otherwise procure these products, you won't get your MIB past the
MIB quacks and/or IESG members". It also implies that the standard is
not sufficiently documented. I don't think IETF should be making such
implications (the latter, if true, needs fixing).

Andrew Smith