RE: draft-ietf-ops-mib-review-guidelines-01.txt is now available

At 10:10 AM 2/25/2003 -0800, Andrew Smith wrote:
>I would second Bob's opinions on this issue (all those expressed so far
>at least :-)).
>
>I make particular objection to Andy's statement that these are
>"practical guidelines on how to configure these programs to check a MIB
>so it will meet IETF expectations". This is newspeak for "if you don't
>buy or otherwise procure these products, you won't get your MIB past the
>MIB quacks and/or IESG members". It also implies that the standard is
>not sufficiently documented. I don't think IETF should be making such
>implications (the latter, if true, needs fixing).

I don't agree with your rewrite of my comment.

1) the SMI is authoritative wrt/ conformance, not any particular tool
2) smilint is free and it is also available as a WEB0based service.
   It doesn't have to be procured or installed.
3) Use of an SMI compliance checker is not required to get a MIB through
   the IETF, but SMI conformance is a requirement, by whatever means.
   The AD and the "MIB quacks" are tired of fixing errors in MIBs for
   people who don't know or care about the SMI rules.
4) The SMI rules are numerous and sometimes obscure. That doesn't excuse
   anyone from having to follow those rules.  The guidelines document is
   attempting to point out to MIB authors that there are tools available
   to help check SMI conformance.
5) The SNMP community has not expressed any real desire to work on
   SMI rule clarifications or simplifications. Are you volunteering to
   rewrite SMIv2 for this purpose?
6) The listing of commercial products (SMICng) is problematic. It creates
   the possibility that every vendor that has SW that provides some amount
   of SMI conformance checking will want to be included in the document.
   This could become a logistical problem very quickly.

>Andrew Smith

Andy