From: Wes Hardaker [mailto:wjhns1@hardakers.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 3:43 PM
To: Harrington, David
Cc: Kurapati, mahesh; mibs@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: Clarification on RowStatus and Agent Capabilities

>>>>> On Wed, 14 May 2003 13:52:50 -0400, "Harrington, David" <dbh@enterasys.com> said:

David> I am not aware of anyplace that says you can have a RowStatus
David> column and not need to use it when creating the row from a
David> management application.

David P. responded to this, so I won't...

David> RFC2579 RowStatus Interaction 2b describes the use of the
David> createAndWait and createAndGo values. The statefulness of the
David> createAndWait operation makes things more difficult for an
David> agent, but requiring createAndGo can be problematic if the row
David> has multiple required columns, and the agent cannot handle all
David> the column SETs in one request. It is up to the agent
David> implementer to determine which create option they support,
David> based on their available resources. I don't think the choice of
David> create option should be specified as a requirement in a mib
David> module.

Oddly enough, I asked a question a while back (I think it was even on
this list though I'd have to go look for it in my archives) about what
the current best-practice was with respect to RowStatus and
createAndWait/createAndGo and was told at the time that making
createAndWait optional was an ok thing to do.  I'll see if I can dig
up the previous discussion.  Maybe it was on the sming list.