RE: SNMP improvements

[...]
> I think most people failed, from vendors to users to
> ADs to me.  We need a roadmap agreed upon by everyone during this
> transition time and we don't have one.  I've even offered to get one
> started, and suggested a group it should go forward through but found
> no interest from people even in that.
>
> So, I kept typing but deleted a few sentences that just sounded too
> depressing.  Let's turn it around instead.  What *can* we do to turn
> the situation around.  That would be better (constructive) use of our
> time.

I fully concur that we need a roadmap agreed upon by everyone.

The NM Workshop identified a number of long-term goals and which
technologies were preferred by the operators to get us there. I
recommend we take RFC3535 as a starting point and chart a course
forward, with long term goals and a strategy of developing the necessary
technologies to reach those goals.

I'm willing to help drive this effort and/or help edit and review
documents.

Dbh
David Harrington
dbh@enterasys.com
Director, Network Management Architecture
Office of the CTO, Enterasys Networks