Unicode is so flawed that 7 or 8 bit encoding is not an issue

James;

Trying to reply your mail, my mailer says:

	[Charset Windows-1252 unsupported, skipping...]

so, could you learn not to Microsoft centric and to use proper charset
for the International discussion of IETF?

> While the discussion of the use of various character set is interesting
> topic, one which is also of interest to IDN WG, such prolonged discussion
> are better carried out in a forum which is dedicated to this, such as
> intloc-discuss@ops.ietf.org, a list which is formed to talk about the
> generic problem of I18N and L10N in IETF, and not IDN.

I believe IDN, or bogosity of it, worthes attracting generic attention
of IETF.

> Please bring it over to the other list and when/if there is a conclusion,
> please keep the IDN informed.

As you could have seen, on IETF mailing list, Harald and I have, at
least, agreed that, if you use unicode based encoding, local context
(or locale) must be carried out of band

I think Harald's language tag is highly semantical and is not
useful for purely lexical (not even syntactic) issues such as
charset disambiguation or space elimination for format=flowed.

For example, the follwing Japanese text in Romaji script:

	IDN tte zenzen dame

follows, as you can easily guess, usual folding rules for Latin-based
scripts.

But, anyway, the discussion so far in IETF list is enough to deny IDN.

I'm happy to discontinue the thread, then.

							Masataka Ohta

PS

I have found a theory to deny PKI and to explain why public key
cryptograpy is not so polular dispite the efforts of ISO, which will
destory entire business of a company or companies owing several
important TLDs.

So, don't bother to say that there are so many so-called-international-
but-actuallly-local domain names registered.