RE: Demoting rfc2223bis to an informative reference

Hi,

I think it is a bad idea to make a web page the normative reference.
We need to be sure MIB Doctor guidelines are consistent over time.
I don't want to do a first review of a document against one set of
guidelines and a second review of the document against a changing set
of guidelines.
We need to help authors and WGs get their documents through the
process, not keep building new roadblocks for them to overcome.
Making our guidelines dependent on "documents" that are allowed to
change without RFC republication is a wrong approach in my view.

I can accept a guideline that says a document initally published (i.e.
-00-) after the publication date of this guidelines RFC
1) MUST meet the requirements of the [rfc2223bis] RFC and
2) MUST meet the specific mib-relevant alternative requirements
speifcied in this guidleines RFC, and
3) the document and subsequent revisions SHOULD meet the updated
requirements found in  http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.txt and
http://www.ietf.org/ID-Checklist.html

This allows an author who starts a -00- document after the publication
of [rfc2223bis] and this guidelines RFC and before an updated
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.txt is made available to have
their document accepted as compliant to the then-current requirements.

One of the problems I have encountered in the bridge WG is that the
boilerplates changed during post-00- revisions and the editors were
required to update their documents to the new boilerplates. While
boilerplates might be nice for IETF publication reasons, they offer NO
interoperability benefit to operators and they offer NO
revenue-generation benefit to vendors; requiring vendor-sponsored
editors to waste precious manhours updating documents to moving
targets is a pure cost-sink activity. This makes it harder to get
vendors to sponsor editors. We need STABLE requirements against which
documents should be checked, not moving targets.

I disagree with trying to demote [rfc2223bis] to an informative
reference by making a web page the normative reference.

David Harrington
dbharrington@comcast.net

In